"Let's make wellness authentic, empowering, and fun!"
- Vanessa Lara, Ph.D., CNS, LDN/LN
I'm Dr. Vanessa Lara.
I work as a functional medicine nutrition practitioner to help clients optimize their health through lifestyle recommendations. As a practitioner, I abide to my version of a balanced lifestyle. I do what brings me joy and keeps me consistent, which is what I aim to achieve with every client.
I prioritize my health by:
1. Eating a balanced diet of mainly whole foods. That means the occasional pizza or cookie! Food freedom and a healthy relationship with food are imperative for a healthy body, mind, and soul.
2. Engaging in regular movement. I mainly enjoy HIIT, yoga, and daily creative walks. I also roller blade and have recently taken up golf.
3. Spending quality time with loved ones and being part of a community. I love exploring different restaurants, hiking, and gathering with friends.
4. Traveling and experiencing the world around me. Taking the time to appreciate beauty, new cultures, and different perspectives feed my soul.
5. Reading fiction, for when physical travel is not possible and the mind needs to wander; reading non-fiction, for learning and curiosity keeps our minds alive.
I look forward to getting to know you and what makes your life balanced!
To help you understand your body. No one knows you better than yourself.
To empower you to take ownership of your health and live your best life. You have more control than you think.
To guide you towards developing effective and sustainable lifestyle habits. It takes patience, effort, and commitment.
BRIDGE THE GAP
To bridge the gap between you and your optimal health by addressing root causes. Let's put that puzzle together!
I celebrate food as a gift of nourishment and vitality, with the power of nutrition extending beyond what we eat. I believe a positive relationship with food and mindfulness are essential pillars of wellness. I discard one-size-fits-all diets and provide clients with nutrition plans and lifestyle guidance based on their unique biology, lifestyle, and goals. Using the principles of functional nutrition, I educate and include clients in the decision-making behind each program, enabling them to confidently make healthy choices and reclaim their health on their own terms.
I'm a Certified Nutrition Specialist®, Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist (FL), and Licensed Nutritionist (NC).
I completed a Master's and a Doctorate Degree in Nutrition and Exercise Physiology from the University of Miami.
For my research, I designed and led a clinical trial examining the effects of food quality versus food quantity on the cardiometabolic markers and the microbiome of overweight individuals. During my university tenure, I taught nutrition and physiology courses, mentored students, and provided nutrition counseling for firefighters in a Cancer Prevention Initiative and student-athletes for improved performance.
Now, I work privately with individuals who need nutritional assistance and provide them personalized protocols carefully designed to address their concerns.